Knol, yet another feather in Google's cap, is a new innovative and interesting service created for sharing knowledge.
Knol, as Google says is a unit of knowledge, is built with the idea that a user can write about any topic they want and can also share with the public. Its different from wikipedia though, as in wiki anybody can edit a topic whereas knols preserves ownership of one's topic.
A user can write about any topic or subject they feel like, although its subjected to Terms of Service and Content Policy defined by Google.
Every knol will have a profile of its author. Knol writers will also be able to make money through Google ads if they allow google to put relevant ads on their knol. Wikipedia already has an entry on knol(Googlepedia I must say).
I am yet to try putting in a video in a knol.
Here are some links to knols that may be helpful to you:Basics of Writing Knols
- Creating and publishing a new knol
- Entering text into a new or existing knol
- Using the formatting bar
- Listing all of your knols
- Managing your author profile
- Managing versions of your knol
- Specifying settings for your knols
- Inserting Images
- Creating and formatting tables
- Creating links and references
- Working with the HTML source
- Changing your bio/profile
Best Practices: Writing Good Knols
- Things to do
- Things to avoid
- Publishing tips for authors